About Steroid Addiction
Steroids have the ability to save a life. They are used to boost lung function during an asthma attack. They can be administered when a baby is at risk for being delivered prematurely to develop its lungs. There are, however, steroids drugs that cause harm to the body. Some of these are referred to as anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids are synthetic drugs that cause the same changes as testosterone and are used to increase muscle mass. Anabolic steroid use and abuse have become very common among individuals who are into bodybuilding and certain sports.
There are legitimate uses for anabolic steroids. For instance, they are used to jump-start puberty and they can also be taken by individuals suffering from certain muscle diseases. In otherwise healthy individuals, the drug has adverse effects on health. If you or someone you know has a steroid addiction, it may be necessary to undergo drug detox in Huntington Beach.
Steroid Addiction Signs and Symptoms
- Steroids administered by an injection will cause the tiny puncture marks, called track marks, that are inflamed and red- looking.
- If you suspect your loved one is taking steroid pills, look for evidence of small ziplocks in pockets or look for empty ziplocks in the waste container.
- If your loved one is getting random packages it the mail, this could be a sign they are receiving steroids.
- If your loved one suddenly has acne, this is a major sign of steroid abuse.
- If you notice an odd, unpleasant odor, it could mean your family member is using topical steroid creams to build muscle mass.
- Steroid abuse might be suspected if your loved one is building muscle mass rapidly and exercising excessively.
Effects of Steroid Abuse on the Body
Although steroids have legitimate uses, the use of steroids can cause great bodily harm, especially when they are abused. Men who are abusing steroids suffer from undesirable side effects which include smaller testicles and enlarged breasts. These effects are a result of the body’s metabolizing the steroid into estradiol. One of the leading side effects of this would be infertility. Women who abuse steroids will appear more masculine, with more hair on their bodies, and a deep voice which can be permanent. Steroids also interfere with a woman’s menstrual cycle.
Both men and women can suffer long-term effects of steroid abuse, including:
- High cholesterol
- Increased blood pressure
- Premature balding
- Intense mood swings
- Heart attack
Steroid Addiction Withdrawal
- Depression and anxiety
- Difficulty concentrating
- Decreased libido
Withdrawal symptoms are different for everyone and can depend on the amount of drug the person takes and the duration of use. Some symptoms will be more severe than others. For anyone facing withdrawal from steroids, it is wise to seek steroid addiction rehab to safely and successfully get through the withdrawal process.
If you know of someone who is suffering from steroid addiction, then you know how difficult it is to watch someone you care about damage their health. You may feel helpless because it is up to the one with the addiction to make a change and want to get help. But, you can let them know you care about them. You can also encourage them to seek drug detox in Huntington Beach to help them with their steroid addiction when they are ready and want to get help.