Illicit Drug Addiction In Women
About Illicit Drug Addiction In Women
When it comes to addiction, gender does make a difference. Drug addiction in women is different than it is for men. Women who engage in illicit drug use become addicted more easily than men and the addiction progresses faster than it does in men. Subsequently, women have more difficulty in beating their addiction. Recovery for women is different than it is for men. Women also relapse for a variety of reasons that might include:
- Getting involved in a romantic relationship too soon
- Psychiatric conditions are present that have not been diagnosed
- Lack of support
- Inadequate coping skills
Addiction is a vicious cycle that can be difficult to break. If you or someone you know is struggling with illicit drug addiction or alcohol addiction, then it’s time to seek drug and alcohol treatment in Huntington Beach, CA.
Most Insurances Accepted
Illicit Drug Addiction Signs and Symptoms
When considering illicit drug facts, you must take into consideration which signs and symptoms to look out for if you suspect someone has an illicit drug addiction. Some signs are obvious while others can leave you guessing as to whether someone is struggling with an addiction. Drug addiction in women and men can damage relationships, wreak havoc on work responsibilities and leave the addict completely isolated. If you notice any of the following in your loved one, you may need to encourage them to seek drug and alcohol treatment in Huntington Beach, CA:
- A person who is an addict becomes neglectful of their responsibilities. They will choose the drug over work and personal obligations. This is a classic sign of addiction. A once dependable person who’s become unreliable may be struggling with addiction.
- Illicit drug addiction can lead to intense cravings. When a person has such cravings, it is a sign that the addiction is progressing.
- With prolonged use, a person will build a tolerance to the drug. They will need more and more of the drug to get the desired results.
- To protect their addiction and obtain the drug, an addict will use poor judgment quite often. They will lie, cheat and steal to get what they want. Unfortunately, they will engage in risky or criminal behaviors that can land them in jail.
- A major red flag of illicit drug abuse is financial troubles. An addict will exhaust every avenue of obtaining the money to fund their drug habit. This can include every paycheck, all the money in their bank accounts or go outside their budget to obtain the drug.
- A person who is addicted enjoys the company of others who are addicts. If you see that your loved one is keeping bad company, this is a sign that their activities aren’t exactly innocent.
Treatment for Women With Illicit Drug Addiction
Because addiction affects women differently, it stands to reason that drug and alcohol treatment for addicted women must come from a unique angle. Such treatment must take into consideration not only the biological makeup of a woman but also the social and environmental factors that affect women. Such factors will influence a woman’s motive for using drugs and reasons for seeking drug and alcohol treatment. Certain life circumstances affect women as a whole which requires a specialized treatment approach which is offered when seeking Huntington Beach, CA treatment.
When seeking drug and alcohol treatment in Huntington Beach, CA, you can rest assured that the unique circumstances and needs will be taken into consideration for each woman that enters treatment. Recovery is the ultimate goal while reducing any chance of relapse which can be obtained through ongoing support after treatment ends.